Wellington Physicians Urgent Care, located in Wellington, Florida, provides allergy treatment for various allergies. Our urgent care center can help relieve your allergy symptoms and help you feel better, sooner.
Do I Have Allergies?
There are many signs that you may be dealing with allergies. These signs can include sneezing, red and swollen itchy eyes, nasal congestion, wheezing, hives (presented as red, raised patches on the skin) and rashes.
Allergies are the body overreacting to a harmless substance, also known as an allergen. When exposed to an allergen, the body will begin to produce antibodies against it, which activate mast cells located throughout the body. Mast cells tend to have higher concentrations in the airways, intestines and skin. Mast cells release chemicals, such as histamine, which causes many of the common symptoms of an allergic reaction.
Signs You May Be Dealing with Allergies
Sneezing, red, swollen itchy eyes, nasal congestion, wheezing, hives (red raised patches on the skin) and rashes are signs you may be dealing with allergies. You do not have to suffer these annoying symptoms until they go away. Treatment at an urgent care center can help relieve symptoms and clear up allergy issues sooner rather than later.
Types of Allergies and Their Symptoms
Most people suffer from allergies. Seasonal allergies to grass, weeds and tree pollen and molds may come and go with the seasons. Cat and dog dander (the shed skin cells of pets) are another common cause of allergies. Food allergies, such as peanuts or milk, can cause cramps, vomiting and diarrhea.
Anaphylaxis is an allergic reaction with hives or itching all over, wheezing or shortness of breath, hoarseness or tightness in the throat and tingling in the hands, feet, lips or scalp. Anaphylactic reactions are life threatening and need immediate medical help.
Once the body is exposed to an allergen, allergies occur when the body begins to produce specific antibodies against it. These antibodies activate mast cells which are located throughout the body with some higher concentrations in the airways, intestines, skin and elsewhere. These cells release histamine (along with some other chemicals) which causes most of the symptoms of an allergic reaction.
- Animals: Pet allergies can put a strain on your relationship with a fluffy friend. The most common symptoms for pet allergies are sneezing and running nose.
- Plants: Grass, weed and plant pollens can make going outside uncomfortable and itchy thanks to pollen allergies. These symptoms include running or stuffy nose, itchy eyes, and a cough.
- Mold allergies: Many people are not aware that mold is in their own homes. Various types of molds hidden in a house, school or workplace can cause long-term problems in people who are allergic to mold or mold spores. Mold grows on a wet or damp spot within a home and starts growing. Indoor humidity can also make mold grow faster. Symptoms for mold allergies include cough, itchy, watery eyes, and hives.
- Foods: Food allergens can result in slight swelling or can be extremely dangerous, resulting in death such as a peanut allergy. People are allergic to many common foods. Managing food allergies is key in people who have these.
- Skin: Skin allergies can cause hives and swelling deep within the skin. These allergic reactions to the skin can be caused by sunscreens, bug sprays, fragrances and cleaning supplies.
- Dust Mites: Dust mites are small insect-like pets that generate some of the most common indoor substance allergens. These microscopic mites can trigger allergic reactions.
Common Allergy Symptoms
- Tightness in throat
- Tingling hands
- Shortness of breath
If you are experiencing dangerous allergy symptoms, such as an anaphylactic reaction, please call 9-1-1 immediately.
Contact Us Today
Wellington Physicians Urgent Care, located in Wellington, Florida, is open seven days a week with convenient daytime and evening hours for patients needing urgent care treatment. Wellington Physicians Urgent Care’s team of medical professionals are here to help treat allergies. Call our urgent care for allergies today.
Walk-in or make a reservation online. →